Solo Jazz & Charleston
Classes at the Rising Sun Arts Centre have been suspended until further notice in response to the Covid-19 situation, so we’re going online for the time being.
Level 1 – Solo Jazz A-Z
Mondays online via Zoom at 7.00pm | Suggested donation: £5 per class
Join us for this Level 1 Solo Jazz class. Each session we’ll be introducing and breaking down a number of Solo Jazz steps, concentrating on technique, shape/styling, timing/rhythm and transitions with a view to build repertoire over time.
This class is suitable for all levels, but will particularly cater for absolute beginners and improvers. It’s aimed at swing dancers and non-swing dancers alike, anyone wanting to build their Solo Jazz repertoire from scratch or plug in the gaps.
This class will be:
- Slower Paced
- Material Light
- Repetition Heavy
RSJ Solo Jazz classes are usually £5 per person per class. We’re offering these Level 1 sessions on a donation basis as we appreciate that many of us are facing financially uncertain or tricky situations at the moment.
Our intention is to continue to pay our real-life venue in Reading, The Rising Sun Arts Centre, our usual weekly room hire fee to help support the venue during these times for as long as we can afford to do so. Any cash collected beyond this will go toward paying your teacher. So any support from class attendees, even £1, is very much appreciated. If you’d like to donate, our paypal is firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 1: These classes will be hosted on the video conferencing service Zoom, which you’ll need to download/register for in advance of the class (it’s free!).
Step 2: Join the RSJ Solo Jazz & Charleston Class facebook group.
Step 3: By Monday lunchtime each week on the RSJ Solo Jazz & Charleston Class, we’ll post up the meeting link that you’ll need to join the class the following evening, so be sure to check the group for the latest link.
Step 4: A little before 7pm on Monday evening, use the link to log into to the class. We’ll kick off just after 7pm, so make sure you’re ready to go when you log in.
- Floor: If possible select a room with a non-carpeted floor; wood flooring is best where possible.
- Risk: Risk assess your space! Look out for things you could bump into or knock over. Clear space by removing or moving furniture where possible and clear any potential trip hazards.
- Clothes: Wear comfortable clothes allow you to move.
- Footwear: Footwear should be comfortable, not too grippy and not to slippy on your flooring. If your shoes are too grippy, you can do this class in socks, just be mindful to keep your weight centered so you don’t slip over and look out for anything sharp on your flooring.
- Hydrate: Have water to hand!
- Rules: Throughout the class look out for yourself. If you feel any pain, stop. If you need a rest, take a break. Drink as and when you need. Take it at your own pace – there’s no judgement or competition here, we’re all just having fun.